So that's what we did! We flew into Phoenix and drove to beautiful Sedona, where we spent 3 nights. On one of those days we took a Pink Jeep tour to the Grand Canyon. It began snowing as soon as we reached the entrance, and at the rim we saw -- NOTHING!
Our guide tried his best to find a spot where we might see a little something, and eventually the mist/fog/snow lifted slightly in spots just enough that we could see what we were missing. It did have a pretty watercolor effect though.
Sedona was beautiful and we loved it. The spectacular red rocks are everywhere! Our hotel had a beautiful view from the balcony, and was in the heart of Uptown, a short walk to all the shops and restaurants.
We also visited Holy Cross Chapel, built into a rock face, with a gorgeous view of surrounding rock formations.
We were brave girls one night, and shared this fun appetizer at the Cowboy Club. Rattlesnake meatballs, buffalo brochettes, cactus fries with prickly pear sauce and cilantro flatbread with chipotle peanut butter. All good. Really!
Liz had to work Wednesday and Thursday, so we drove to Scottsdale on Tuesday evening. On our way down, we stopped at the amazing Montezuma's Castle, which has nothing to do with Montezuma; nor is it a castle. I was able to buy a (lifetime!) senior pass, which got us both into this National Monument. Had I lived up that cliff, I would have made that climb just once; and then someone would have to bring me food and water forever after!
I chilled out at the hotel on Wednesday while Liz was working; but on Thursday I got the hotel courtesy van to take me into town to a Native American culture event. The costumes, the music, the dancing and the explanations of some of the native culture were all fabulous.
Friday was to be our last day in Arizona. We had originally planned to visit the Phoenix Botanical Garden, but decided we simply couldn't go home and say we had been AT the Grand Canyon, but didn't SEE the Grand Canyon. We found a tour with Arizona Frontiers that would take us there, now a 4 hour drive from Scottsdale, and as luck would have it, we were the only two on the trip that day! Our guides were great, and we learned a great deal about history, geology, flora and fauna, anthropology and the like, which made the trip go fast. AT LAST, we saw the Grand Canyon. Pictures can't begin to show it's depth or breadth or beauty.
Liz and I were very compatible traveling companions. We decided in the beginning that if we came home tired, it would have been a good trip. We both came home exhausted! There are things we would have liked to have seen that we just didn't have time to get to. Sunrise and sunset in the canyon. Mule train to the bottom of the canyon (if I could work up my courage!) In summer I'd love to take the white water raft trip down the Colorado River. We would have liked to have toured Tucson. There are also a number of wine tours, and an olive factory, and of course the botanical garden we missed. And lots more Indian ruins.
And I'd go back just to buy the t-shirt I didn't buy while I was there: It pictured five Native Americans in full regalia on horseback, and was captioned: "Homeland Security. Protecting our borders since 1492"











Hi Adele! You have intrigued me to visit Arizona! I have never been there, but now I would love to!! The food and scenery look amazing!Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! HUGS!
ReplyDeleteWOW this sounds like the adventure or a lifetime!!! I love these photos! The one of the Holy Cross Chapel is stunning. I would be at a loss regarding the Botanical Garden versus a revisit of the Grand Canyon- Botanical Gardens are my absolute favorite places to visit when I go anywhere- my sister already knows if we are in a new city we are hitting up all the garden spots- she's my fave travel companion. That cowboy club meal sounds delicious- to me as long as it's cooked it's FOOD- sushi and tuna tartare get special awesomeness passes. :)
ReplyDeleteSo jealous of your trip out west. And fabulous pictures! My favorites are of the Native American dancing.
ReplyDeleteSo, if you don't mind my asking, what age did you start your son in Montessori at? How long did he stay in it? Our school will go through 5th grade. We haven't decided yet if we'll keep them in there once they turn 5, or if we'll go to public school. I guess we'll just have to see how things go.
Hi Sarah!
DeleteBrian was almost 3 when I went back to work and he started Montessori. He thrived there! As I recall, they only offered pre-school, so he was there for 2 years until he turned 5 and went to public kindergarten. Years later we learned that the rigid public school setting was not the ideal place for our very bright, ADD kid. He would have done so much better in a place where he could eagerly learn what interested him at his own pace; but there was no Montessori option here at the time. Thirty years later, Brian still learns what interests him on his own, and quickly becomes an expert by reading, picking people's brains, and trying stuff hands on. Hopefully your girls don't have any ADD issues.
You're right that you'll just have to play it by ear and see if Montessori suits the girls. My guess is that they're going to love it though! Keep us posted, OK?
One of my favorite places to visit! I absolutely LOVE Arizona! My girls and I had the opportunity to visit the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago with my mother-in-law, and you are so right . . . words cannot explain its beauty and photographs don't get it quite right either! You did a lot of fun things! How wonderful to have such a great friend! Sounds like a VERY memorable trip! :)
ReplyDelete